Do I need permission to cut down a tree on my property Scotland?

Will I need permission to cut down a tree on my property in Scotland

Do I need permission to cut down a tree on my property Scotland?

You must apply for Felling Permission if you wish to fell a tree, unless the felling is exempt. It's an offence to fell trees without permission unless there's an exemption. When you make a planning application, the form will ask whether there are any trees on the site or nearby that could be affected by the proposed works. It is illegal to fell any timber without permissions in place if it is over five metres cubic square in volume, unless the woodland is between 0,1ha and 0,5ha in size and where at least 50% of the woodland consists of native species.

Where a tree must be felled outside of a private garden, you may need to obtain permission from the relevant government department.

Can I cut down a tree on my property Scotland?

They may not even realise that they have high tree branches and be more than happy to take care of the problem. Existing trees on neighbour's land which interfere with television reception especially with satellite transmissions, are unlikely to be regarded as a nuisance in law. However, the owner of the adjacent land has the legal right to ‘abate the nuisance’ by cutting the branch or roots encroaching on other property. There is no height restriction on trees and you may be able to cut back the overhanging branches to the boundary.

Felling without a valid Felling Permission (where exemptions or Directions do not apply) is an offence and may result in prosecution, a fine of up to £5000 per tree and a criminal record for anyone involved.

What trees can be cut down without permission UK?

The aim of a TPO is to give protection to trees that provide amenity value to the public, so if your tree can be viewed or enjoyed from beyond the confines of your garden it could be subject to a TPO. They will make sure the problem is sufficiently resolved while saving as much of the tree as possible, and they have liability insurance should anything go wrong too. The only time arboreal work can continue in a Conservation Area without permission from the council is when it involves cutting down, pruning, finishing off or uprooting a tree that is less than 75 mm in diameter, or cutting down or uprooting a tree with a diameter of less than 100 mm to enhance the growth of another tree. To carry out work in these areas, the designated statutory body must give permission unless it’s an emergency.

Kirsty Matthews
Kirsty Matthews

Professional coffee fanatic. Proud coffee fanatic. Friendly pop culture buff. Friendly bacon lover. Wannabe twitter maven. General beer fan.

Leave Message

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *